Skinny Spicy Zucchini Lasagna
6 large zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 peppers 1 red and 1 yellow, diced
1 package mushrooms
2 pounds ground turkey
1 - 14 oz can/bottle marinara sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
2- 15 oz part skim ricotta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
12 oz reduced fat mozzarella cheese
handful of basil, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375˚ degrees
2. In a bowl, add the orégano, cumin, curry, turmeric, salt , ground turkey, mix and set aside.
3. Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic, peppers, salt and cook for a few minutes, stir occasionally.
Add marinated ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add marinara sauce, basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10min. Remove from heat and cool.
4. In a separate bowl, combine egg, ricotta, Parmesan and some basil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
5. To make the lasagna, spread 1/2 of the turkey meat sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan coated with olive oil. Place zucchini slices evenly over meat sauce, spread the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle mozzarella. Repeat and end with mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake for 15 minute longer uncovered, then finish off by broiling top for a minute or two but be careful not to burn!
6. Serve with a delicious salad and glass of wine, enjoy! 🍷🍝